Tuesday, 28 November 2017

Boring would be good.

Sorry I have not posted a blog for ages. Life has been a whirlwind of continuous changes. But mostly exhaustion! And surprises.

House maintenance
We finally saw the end of the scaffold and plastic wrap. Which I still continue to discover bits in the garden occasionally.. The cost was a total blow out on replacement of the butynol so I stopped asking how much everything was costing and begged the scaffolders for a big discount. We should be free of maintenance for that for a good 20 years we hope. The weather threw the works at us during the many months of work. Was supposed to be 3 weeks! Turned to 3 months

Family grows
Nick and Julie with baby Chloe moved in mid September. It was not with out its ups and downs. Storing their mini house of furniture at my mums and fitting it into my house was a good lesson in logistics. But only my logistics as the family left it to me. Months of clearing 2 bedrooms and piling baby furniture up was hard work. Hence the hospice gained and I have yet to sort more. The move went so well until the moving truck clipped the power lines and ripped it and the chorus line from the unit. Hours of phone calls and sorting got it restored by 8pm to the neighbours. Our first day of baby sitting was pretty full on.

Primary carers
Colin and I care for Chloe 4 days a week but with them living with us it is more than that. Friday and weekends are our days off. 7.30am starts are taking their toll on me. By Thursday I am wasted and fell asleep on the floor with Chloe last week and Colin had to leave his sanctuary of the office to help me. I had a belly dance show on Sunday so practice and babies do mix. Chloe is mesmerized by my music and dance and can't take her eyes off the veil flicking around. Have to have a few tricks up our sleeve for entertainment of babies. I work on number, colours , nature and animal recognition often. Speech and play   trick is to get a kiss XXX 000 from her. She face plants her forehead to your face as she hasn't worked out how to pucker lips yet. Very cute.

Colin
He has continued to stay well. Only a mild cold and chest infection this year set him back a little. Juggling medication has been long and slow but he is still here. The liver function tests are variable but at  manageable level. I have to enforce an afternoon sleep on him and that helps. After all we are out late dancing 2 nights a week and stopped the Sunday nights. Part of our exercise routine to stay fit. He sits in the office for hours working on accounts and insurance and helping with Nick's house build documents and plans. What would the kids do without us??? He will be coping alone for 2 weeks shortly.

Me
Life has been totally changed. It is hard for me to get on with the things I need to as daily baby sitting and meals for a bigger family take up the day. Just negotiating the baby furniture and cleaning up after baby eating is full on, let alone the washing and getting chores done. There is always a meal on the table at night. Bar 2 nights where I could not function. Colin and I spent weeks getting our unit ready for rental. Interesting taking a baby with you and doing 2 hourly feeds while trying to paint, clean and clean the deck and spray etc. Wouldn't recommend it. Though my nieces are keen to help babysit and Chloe loves them to bits.  More fun than hanging out with the olds.

Kitchen
Our kitchen is 23 years old now and needing an upgrade but we keep holding off as we had the shower leak and the roof replacement this year. Well a hidden leak from the pipes has caused  major flooring problem which needs replacing and involves removing the kitchen.  All a huge job and with baby in the house it is going to be fun times. We have to remove all the furniture in the kitchen family dining and laundry and landing in the Garage. Time for a big throw out and upgrade of kitchen at the same time. My brain is working overtime in the logistics again

With Christmas looming and no presents bought I am not in panic mode yet. Though I leave Colin and Cameron on 6 December to travel to China with Nick, Julie and Chloe. Have done no packing or organizing, this time and will just be following along. No the flooring can't be done while we are away due to backlogged work. Hurrumpf! Is what I said. Well more than that.

1 comment:

  1. So pleased to see pics of you all - yourself, Colin, Molly....and Chloe!

    Not so happy to hear/see about the house repairs :(
    Hopefully that's over.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete