Love is...... A helpful son
Busy week
Last week was super busy as we went away for the weekend but I forgot that there is a lot more to do when you come home. Hence a big stress out for me as we had an engagement party for Nick and Julie on Saturday. So cooking all week and tidying house and arranging furniture. Sister and brother in law helped out with the catering. Couldn't do without them. Son Cameron was amazing. He cleaned toilets, shifted furniture, filled pineapple tarts, iced eclairs and filled them, and fried the spring rolls. Nick and Julie's friends loved the food and kept taking photos of the desserts. Diana made 2 amazing cakes. Nearly all the huge sponge was eaten and the heart cake got big oohs and arrhs.
Thinking about Colin's transplant and all the jobs for the party besides the usual work load caused a lack of sleep. That made me want to cry. But I wasn't alone as friend Sandra D also said she had a week of crying. So then I realised I wasn't losing it. Went off and bought 2 bamboo pillows. Not sure if they are helping but I was tired anyway.
Transplant begins soon
Colin goes into Auckland Hospital on the 27 May to begin chemotherapy to knock out his own bone marrow. Some of the toxic drugs cause side effects like seizures so drugs for anti seizures are given before hand. He has an 8 day program before transplant. The number and type of drugs are scary. The day of the transplant is day 0 and we begin counting forward from that day. The anti rejection drugs begin and aren't pleasant. He wont be on these forever, if all goes well.
The transplant food
Just one of the items discussed with the nurse but I have to be super careful with hygiene and choices now.
-no pepper, or uncooked spices,
-no nuts or hummus
-no take aways especially sushi, salads, ice cream
-no raw meat or seafood
-no uncooked egg or mayonnaise
-only fruit that can be peeled or stewed
- no processed meats like bacon and ham (our choice)
Most of the food above can carry bacteria or fungi or salmonella or campylobacteria.
Colin wont be eating much from 5 June when the donor cells are given
I stick to home cooked soups. The hospital caterer is changing so let's hope there is an improvement
Cleanliness
I have to step up. I have slacked off a bit.
Much more washing of linen and cleaning is needed round home. Colin will be in hospital for 4-6 weeks so I just need to keep up while he is not home. He Maybe longer depending on how the transplant takes.
Even visitors need to shower and wear clean clothes to hospital. Initially it would be best to limit visiting. People can meet me on the ward though.
Anyone in contact with or has an infection or cold or flu can not visit. If you have had contact with children who have had childhood diseases stay away.
If you have been gardening you shouldn't come. Hands must be washed well and sanitised. Any thing that will compromise Colin's health is dangerous. He will have NO defense mechanism.
Back to touching him with sanitsed hands or gloves.

What a colourful photo of vegetables and a great photo of Colin. He looks in good shape for next week. You are doing a great job. You are brave and strong for Colin. Keep up the good work. Don't forget to look after yourself.
ReplyDelete