Thursday, 2 July 2015

Enjoying our own space

Love is.... Enjoying cuddles on the couch

Now I know why they call it Day Stay Clinic.  Colin is there alllllllll day for something that should take less than 2 hours.  They are understaffed so you can wait an hour to be assessed.  I get frustrated.  Cameron took Colin to hospital as I had another speech on the Ah Chee family history.  Went really well to the over 65 age group.  Have donated the $50 payment to Leukemia and blood cancer NZ.  Had to pass on 3 invitations this year but if Colin is well I could keep speaking and raise more money. 

All this time spent with Colin has been wonderful for us.  The nurses laughed when I made him exercise as they said I was cracking the whip. He needed  it.
I heard him tell someone he was quite fatigued and frustrated because it was hard to do anything. At the moment Just eating 5 times a day, sleeping,  functioning,  swallowing the capsules 5 different times of the day and going to clinic is enough for him to cope with.  His phone alarm to remind him goes off all day. He can't hear it though.  I do remember that one of the side effects of a drug was loss of hearing!

Friday Day 28

Another long day at clinic but we talked to friends Christine and Tetanau supporting their 18 year old daughters. Christine works at the library and showed me how to access magazines on zinio and get the free herald on the Auckland library site.  I showed her how to check traffic flow from hospital to home on Google maps.   We are enjoying our free days being  quiet as the time in hospital is so social. Looks like we will  not be socialising before day 100 or more to be safe.  No going near babies either evidently.  Colin's immune system is suppressed with cyclosporin so the new donor cells can take over.  He has no immunity to disease or infections.  In one years time he will start an vaccination programme again like a new baby. He had a chimerism test so see how much of his blood is still his and how much is donor.  Because they have different blood types A and O they test to see which type he  is before giving blood each blood test.  He hasn't needed blood yet. O is universal anyway.  We wait with interest to see what tests present. 


Breakfast at home in the sun. 
You can see I still like to wear my beanie cause it's cold without hair! 

No comments:

Post a Comment