Love is...... Oblivious
To what is going on around us.
Like the stink weather, his illness, daily routines
The bubble
Colin's room is his bubble. I plan to get him out the door today. The daily routine, plus meals which take 1 to 1 1/2 hours to complete and the interruptions from staff, visitors, phones etc
And his falling fast asleep funnily leave little else time for physio and mobilizing. Golly only about 5 days ago I had to feed him and do everything as he was too weak to use his arms. I thought to myself then, I have to get his independence back. Well he can shave and brush teeth, wash face, , eat his meal, walk unaided and sit in a chair for meals, put on his own slippers, help with showering. Today the plan is to get dressed in his own clothes and attempt a walk out of the room. Also see if I can trim his hair which he hasn't agreed to.
I am really determined but so is he and being really sick he can't be pushed.
I want normal. Can we go back to before leukemia?
When life was trundling along happily? Someone flicked a switch and in an instant I landed in the world of hospitals, with drips and drugs and taking temperatures, blood pressure, weight, blood tests and oxygen readings. We have the benefit of understanding the medical jargon which is a bonus. All those procedures like the lumbar puncture and bone marrow biopsy don't phase me. I like watching it. We are trusting in the doctors and not reading too much but just going with the flow. Reading or googling doesn't help or change the outcome. Each patient is so different and this is a top notch ward and now is just a waiting game.
PM
Lunch didn't work today. Sandra and Kevin dropped in mushroom for dinner. They watched him eat his shepards pie and fruit but just after they left it all came up. Such a bummer as his weight is stable. I cut his hair because it was so long and then showered him. While drying his hair the towel was still hairy and as I rubbed more and plucked some I realised his hair was actually falling out. I have managed to get him into clothes, a big step forward.
There was no protest this time.
Still not out the room door but the nurse is encouraging him to.
No comments:
Post a Comment