Thursday, 12 February 2015

What a difference a day makes...

The
Love is.... Being alive and well

I can't believe that in one day I feel like Colin is back with me.  A skinny version.  Returned from somewhere.  Eating and drinking and talking.

The dietitian.
When she came because he lost 8 kilos she leaned in and said "what's happening?"
I thought,  hello there,  chemo,  sick,  throwing  up,  doh !!
She said " forget about cholesterol!  Eat  cream  on your weetbix ,  chocolate  biscuits,  energy drinks and meal supplements.  Eat 5 times a day"  watch TV while you eat to distract you too.
Good grief wouldn't you love someone to say it is okay to eat like that.
He now lost 9 kilos but is fighting back by basically eating till he might burst.
Everything I offer him he says, "okay I'll try it. 
For goodness sakes after the last 2 weeks of spoon feeding and coaxing and difficult choices who would believe it? I laughed at him.  It was like food discovery. 
He enjoyed the chocolate bars.  I had to go shopping for them and the chocky biscuits because I just don't have them at home.  I would eat them!

Pm
He gained 500 gm yippee.
Well I am the expert on how to gain weight. Just don't know how to reverse it.  And chemo is the most drastic way to rid yourself of excess kilos.
Lunch was fish and chips and I should have taken a video of him eating.  He so enjoyed it.  Added chocolate bar which Lisa was witness to him scoffing and said she could give him good tips on gaining weight.
I was late after mum and I went to acupuncture.  Sony said I wasn't too bad after all that has happened as I last saw him in December.
He muttered,  " yes kidney,  liver okay,  worry mmmm ,  my you are so tough,  so tough"  he laughed.
This man can tell by pulse if I have eaten bananas,  yoghurt or coffee or not had enough sleep.  Don't ask how?
COLIN walked the whole ward,  160 M but the staff laughed when I announced we weren't taking home the walker for him. The physio put him through his paces this morning and stair Climbing and the occupational therapist gave him a fatigue chart.  I really think he knows when he is fatigued!

I have rushed around and stewed his fruit,  put together his won ton diner for tonight and had a quick Nana nap.  Got to get home especially early for family get together with nephew Dan back from Melbourne. So pleased I can leave Colin early today. He has gained heaps of independence already. Not long now.
My new friend Sandra D and husband are going home,  will miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment