Wednesday, 21 January 2015

A day like no other

19 January 2015
A day like no other.
testing times as Colin discovers by blood tests he has abnormal results.
Of course I am at the hairdresser with goop in my hair,  without my mobile which is charging at home.
When Colin tells me that his platelets are low and he needs immediate admission,  we both know what is suspected.
He is admitted to Middlemore and there in starts the barrage of bloods, bone marrow biopsy,  ultrasounds,  ecg  etc.
Looking like a pin cushion but in veritable Colin style there is  Not one complaint.
He is so strong and selfless.  My wonderful husband.
I know how he is on the inside which belies the visual outside.

20 January  Tuesday
I have to cancel dance class indefinitely.  A sad moment.
The hardest is pushing the send button on the email to the dance group friends.
I look around before I push send.  Am I having a nightmare and Colin is home with me?
No
Tomorrow he transfers to Auckland Hospital where they specialize in this type of blood illness.
The preliminary diagnosis is Acute myeloid leukemia.
Our lovely 3 sons are here and Colin is more cheerful.   A colleague visits.
I have to go home as I am exhausted but end up going to bed late fielding calls and talking to my sister.
All the talking helps and all the offers of support is amazing us.
Thanks my friends

21 January
Auckland hospital ward 11 Motutapu Unit
Room 13a
Colin is tired but okay.  His biopsy site is sore but fine.
He is eating fine and I think would love some Chinese food but I have no energy  to drive or shop or cook.  I am a crying mess.  So are the people in the room around us.

The specialist speaks to us this afternoon.  The scenario is not great for over 60 year old.  Not the worst but intermediate.  No mention of prognosis is possible  yet.
4 to 6 week initial stay for chemotherapy and if he goes into remission that is the hope. 
But just the beginning because it is unlikely to get rid of it.
Later treatments of bone marrow transplant are not worth discussing this early.

There is a long road of tests transfusions,  procedures,  hospitalization
We are talking at least 6 months.

I have to leave at 4.30pm  to get my ride home and I feel horrible leaving.  Can't  think  can't function properly.

People do not visit if they have illness or been in contact with measles or chickpox or had illness like diarrhoea. Need to sanitize hands on entering ward.

Aim:
Be positive
Take one day at a time
Try my very best

2 comments:

  1. Get well soon Colin. be postive take one day at a time/stay strong. we miss you and pray for the best for you. surely you will get better very soon. sunita/lisa/gomeeta/savita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ladies, thinking of you at work too. We are keeping strong just now and when Colin is stronger I am sure he would love a short visit from you. Watch the blog to see when possible but he is here for at least 6 weeks initially.

      Delete