Day 5 Friday
I have lost track of days. One week feels like a month.
Colin started the chemo last night and had an okay night and was up this morning to shower and shave.
I have arrived at hospital at lunch time but lunch was not kept down. Sorry bout the jook Mum.
More drugs to counteract that but he always had a terrible stomach and I was surprised he managed to go cruising at all.
Just gone through some emails and trying to read newspaper to him but he is not able to keep awake .
He had a blood transfusion because the haemoglobin was way low. Going to be many more transfusions.
Di and Phil came and we just chatted. Colin slept the whole time. A beautiful cream sponge which Colin couldn't eat but any other time would have devoured. Well guess who is eating it? With Mary Youngs cookies I might be gaining back weight rapidly as not doing much walking. Eating Sandra's chow farn for dinner is wonderful and I feel better today. Stronger. Apart from breaking down when Colin's staff start crying too when I go in to get the stupid blisters dressed. Yesterday He enjoyed the muffin Rosie Julie's sister brought up to him. Not interested in eating now and just hope his mouth doesn't ulcer.
Nursing, physio, masseur, tea lady, Secretary, typist, reader, yoga instructor.
Yesterday I had a plan. I did all of the above. I forgot that I had a skill. To keep Colin from wasting muscles or dvts or skin ulcers, I massaged oils and took him through the exercise program and breathing regime I devised while lying awake unable to sleep.
He is too tired to read emails so I read to him and typed out the replies. Fetched drinks, toileted him, showered him, gave mouth rinses and all the rest.
It was great. I should have been a nurse. (see how I go in 6 months)
Dr Rutter told me when I wanted to train, no you don't want to be a nurse and wash private parts, do bedpans and cut toe nails do you? Enough said that is why I did Physio.
Forget it. Plan A in the bin as he is too sick and nauseous today.
It is kind of a bugger you have to eat and go to the toilet when you are sick.
(he has to unplug the drip and trundle it off to the toilet)
Lumbar puncture
Unfortunately they tried heaps but he has such a stiff back after laminectomy it was unsuccessful
Checking for extent of cancer
Anethetist will have to do it later
Visiting
Don't worry about bringing food, he can't handle it yet.
NO FLOWERS on the ward either. Trying to keep it sterile. Some super sick people there.
It is the bone marrow ward
Probably best to avoid visiting till he is better.
Phil brought some photos to look at. Will put into an album for him
Phil Lynch was my taxi today. Thanks for that and all the messages, food and help.
You don't realise how much of a difference it makes.
Sorry Mary I blurred the photo
No comments:
Post a Comment